Post-op Navigator Progress:
After surgery, the most important things are to:
- Stick to non-carbonated, clear liquids only
- Clear liquids are thin liquids that you can see through, that would go easily through a strainer
- This includes sugar-free jello!
- Go slow, one sip at a time!
- Try to get in 48-72 ounces of non-caffeinated clear liquids daily
Check out more info on the diet progression below!
Post-op Clear Liquid Diet Protocol
Band Patients: Clear liquids for the first 24 hours after surgery
Sleeve/RNY/Overstitch/SIPS/ESG: Clear liquids for the first week after surgery
The ultimate goal of on clear liquids is to consume 48-64 ounces per day, from the recommended list below.
You should be consuming diluted juices (2 oz juice/2 oz water) or diluted sports drinks (2 oz beverage/2 oz water) every 15 minutes while awake. This will help to prevent your blood sugar from going low and give you a little energy. (Total undiluted juice should be no more than 8 ounces in a day – that equals 16 ounces of fluids once diluted.)
- Diluted Fruit Juice (2 oz juice/2 oz water)
- Grape, cranberry, or apple ONLY (100% juice or no added sugar)
- Diluted Gatorade or Powerade (2 oz beverage/2 oz water)
Recommended Choices for Clear Liquid Diet:
- Clear broth or Bouillon – chicken, beef, or vegetable
- Water or ice chips
- Crystal Light or Sugar-free Kool-Aid
- Decaf Tea and Coffee (NutraSweet, Splenda, Sweet-n-low, Stevia allowed)
- Sugar-free gelatin
- Propel Zero, Powerade Zero, or Gatorade Zero
- Sugar-free popsicles
- Sugar-free Italian Ice
- Bariatric Advantage clear protein drink (available at Journeylite)
- Journeylite Supplements: Fruit Drinks, Protein Bouillon, and Hot Beverages (made with 8oz water)
- Carbonated beverages
- Sugary drinks
- Caffeinated beverages
- Avoid citrus (orange, grapefruit, pineapple) and tomato juices.
- No juice drinks, juice cocktails or undiluted 100% juices