What Is Gastric Sleeve Surgery?
Vertical Sleeve Gastrectomy (VSG surgery) is a less-invasive surgical weight loss procedure known for its effectiveness in promoting substantial weight loss and low long-term risk.
You may have heard vertical sleeve gastrectomy surgery called one of these other names:
- Vertical Gastrectomy
- Sleeve Gastrectomy
- Gastric Sleeve Surgery
- VSG Surgery
These are all describing the same type of surgery, which is a newer but highly effective procedure being performed for weight loss.
During VSG surgery, a significant portion of the stomach is removed, leaving behind a smaller, sleeve-shaped stomach. This new, smaller stomach has a much lower capacity for food, which helps to significantly reduce your hunger and food intake and assist in your weight loss journey. The procedure doesn’t involve rerouting the intestines like other bariatric surgeries. Gastric sleeve surgery is a popular choice for individuals seeking a less complex surgical solution for weight loss.
VSG Surgery Recommendations Based on BMI
Gastric sleeve surgery can be an excellent choice for patients with a BMI under 50, as it offers significant weight loss while minimizing risks. In cases where individuals have a BMI over 50, sometimes bypass or duodenal switch procedures might be explored due to their potential for higher weight loss. Nonetheless, VSG surgery could still be a viable option for patients with a BMI over 50, given its lower associated risk compared to a full bypass procedure. By opting for VSG surgery at JourneyLite, you are choosing a path toward a healthier lifestyle.
Our team of experienced, board-certified surgeons specialize in gastric sleeve in Cincinnati and throughout Ohio, Kentucky and Indiana and are dedicated to providing a personalized approach to ensure safe and effective results.
How Gastric Sleeve Surgery Works
VSG surgery is a streamlined weight loss procedure designed for effectiveness and quick recovery. Here are the key details about how the surgery is performed and what you can expect:
Gastric Sleeve Surgery Details and Duration
VSG surgery typically takes less than an hour to perform. It is executed laparoscopically, meaning the surgeon does not make any major incisions. Instead, the surgeon will make five small incisions, totaling about two inches, which minimizes scarring and promotes faster healing.
VSG Surgery Recovery
Many patients can return home on the day of the VSG surgery, thanks to the quick recovery process. By removing a portion of the stomach, gastric sleeve surgery reduces hunger and limits the amount of food you can consume, while not typically interfering with the normal absorption of nutrients. Food is introduced gradually after surgery to reduce discomfort and complications.
This structured recovery process, coupled with our extensive experience in VSG surgery, positions JourneyLite as a preferred choice for individuals seeking a reliable and supportive environment for their gastric sleeve in Ohio.
- Immediate Recovery: Post-surgery, patients typically start with a diet of clear liquids. This stage allows the stomach to begin the healing process while ensuring the patient remains hydrated.
- Dietary Advancement: The post-VSG surgery diet will gradually advance over the subsequent weeks. In the second week, patients transition to a pureed food diet, followed by a soft food diet in the third week. By the fourth week, most gastric sleeve surgery patients can eat soft, solid foods. This phased dietary progression aids in a smoother recovery and adjustment to the altered digestive system.
- VSG Surgery Follow-Up Care: Patients will have scheduled follow-up appointments with their healthcare provider to monitor the recovery process, address any concerns, and ensure they are on track with their weight loss goals. For out-of-town patients, we can do virtual visits to minimize travel.
- Long-Term Dietary Management After Gastric Sleeve Surgery: Post VSG surgery, patients will continue to work closely with Registered Dietitians to establish a healthy, balanced diet plan that supports their weight loss and maintenance goals.
JourneyLite provides a comprehensive support system throughout the VSG surgery recovery period. Our gastric sleeve Ohio-based team is dedicated to ensuring a smooth recovery and providing the necessary guidance and support to achieve and maintain your weight loss goals.
Expected Weight Loss After VSG Surgery
The primary goal of VSG surgery is to aid individuals in achieving a significant weight loss milestone. Following gastric sleeve surgery, individuals will likely see significant weight loss, losing an average of 60-70% of their excess body weight within the first year. This notable weight loss results from the reduced stomach size, which naturally limits food intake and promotes a healthier, more manageable weight.
Schedule an Appointment
Gastric Sleeve Surgery Pricing
Curious about the cost of gastric sleeve in Ohio? We offer competitive pricing for self-pay VSG surgery patients to make this life-altering procedure more accessible. This guide to VSG surgery costs walks you through multiple payment options.
Benefits of Gastric Sleeve Surgery
VSG surgery has become the most commonly performed weight loss procedure primarily because it has the lowest long-term risk. In many cases, it can be done on an outpatient basis, with as little as a week or two off work. Here are some of the advantages associated with this procedure:
- Effective Weight Loss: Gastric sleeve surgery has a proven track record of enabling substantial weight loss. By reducing the stomach’s size, it naturally curtails food intake, aiding individuals in shedding a significant percentage of their excess body weight.
- Lowered Appetite: Gastric sleeve surgery also impacts the hormones related to hunger and satiety, which can lead to a reduction in appetite and a natural regulation of food intake.
- Improved Comorbid Conditions: The weight loss resulting from VSG surgery often leads to the improvement or resolution of obesity-related conditions. Many studies show up to an 80% remission rate for Type II diabetes!
- Absence of Foreign Objects: The short-term risk is slightly higher than with Lap Band; however, the long-term risk is much lower as there are no foreign bodies introduced during surgery.
- Higher Self-Esteem: The positive change in body image and weight loss often contribute to enhanced self-esteem and a more positive outlook on life.
- Minimal Maintenance: Unlike other bariatric procedures, gastric sleeve surgery requires minimal long-term maintenance and has no foreign objects like bands or ports that need adjustment.
- Insurance Coverage: Many private insurance companies cover the costs associated with VSG surgery, making it a financially viable option for those seeking a surgical solution to weight loss.
- Experienced Surgeons: At JourneyLite, patients have access to some of the most skilled surgeons specializing in gastric sleeve in Cincinnati and throughout Ohio, ensuring a high level of expertise and care throughout the surgical process and recovery.
Achieving your weight loss goals through gastric sleeve surgery is a collaborative effort. The dedicated team at JourneyLite is committed to providing comprehensive care, education and support from your initial consultation to your post-operative recovery and beyond.
What Are the Risks of Gastric Sleeve Surgery?
Like any surgical procedure, gastric sleeve surgery carries certain risks, though it is considered quite safe, especially when performed by experienced surgeons like those at JourneyLite. Here are some potential risks:
- Surgical Complications: As with any surgical procedure, there are risks with VSG surgery, such as infection, bleeding and adverse reactions to anesthesia.
- Leaks: There’s a risk of leaks occurring along the staple line used to form the gastric sleeve, although such incidents are uncommon in VSG surgery.
- Nutritional Deficiencies: Since gastric sleeve surgery alters the size of the stomach, there may be a risk of nutritional deficiencies post-surgery if the patient doesn’t eat a balanced diet. Proper food choices and nutritional supplements can help prevent this.
- Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease (GERD): Some patients may experience increased GERD symptoms after VSG surgery because the anatomical alterations caused by removing a portion of the stomach may disrupt the normal functioning of the lower esophageal sphincter.
- Stomach Stretching: Over time, the remaining portion of the stomach may stretch due to overeating, potentially reducing the effectiveness of the surgery in terms of weight loss. If weight regain occurs, VSG surgery can easily be converted to a gastric bypass or SIPS, likely leading to additional weight loss.
- Newer Procedure: Unlike the more established gastric bypass surgery, gastric sleeve surgery has only been an option for about 15 years, making it less time-tested.
- Non-Adjustable and Non-Reversible: Unlike the Lap Band, gastric sleeve surgery does not allow for adjustments or reversals post-operation.
It’s essential to have a thorough discussion with your healthcare provider to understand the risks and benefits of VSG surgery and to determine whether it’s the right choice for your weight loss goals. At JourneyLite, our team is dedicated to providing all the information you need to make an informed decision, ensuring your safety and long-term success.
Other Surgical Options
VSG Surgery vs. Lap Band
What are VSG surgery differences compared to using a Lap band?
- Since there is no mechanical device, there are fewer food intolerances with vertical sleeves than with the Lap Band.
- Weight loss is much faster with gastric sleeve surgery than with the Lap Band.
- Removing the portion of the stomach that secretes hunger hormones, such as ghrelin, can result in better hunger reduction than with the Lap Band.
- There is no implantable device, so things like band slips and erosions aren’t a concern down the road with the VSG surgery.
- The risk is lower than with gastric bypass, yet the weight loss is similar.
- Since there is no device to adjust, the follow-up regimen for VSG surgery is less intense than for the Lap Band.
- VSG surgery is also a good revision procedure for band patients who have failed to lose weight or had to have their band removed.
Why Choose JourneyLite for Gastric Sleeve in Cincinnati?
Choosing the right facility for your VSG surgery is crucial. Our surgeons have extensive experience in gastric sleeve in Ohio, having performed over 6,000 laparoscopic gastric sleeve surgeries. Here’s why thousands of people choose JourneyLite:
- Highly Experienced Surgeons: Our surgeons in Cincinnati have performed more than 6,000 gastric sleeve surgeries.
- State-of-the-Art Facility: JourneyLite Surgery Center is a dedicated 12,000-square-foot outpatient surgical center designed exclusively for bariatric surgery.
- Certified Excellence: We are an MBSAQIP-Accredited Bariatric Surgery Outpatient Center of Excellence by the American Society for Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery.
- Quality Care: We have received recognition from Anthem Blue Distinction Plus, United Health Optum Bariatric Center of Excellence and Aetna Institute of Quality.
- Convenient Locations: With three Ohio weight loss centers (Cincinnati, Columbus, and Dayton) and locations in Indianapolis and Northern Kentucky, we are here to serve you.
By choosing JourneyLite for your gastric sleeve surgery, you’re opting for a facility renowned for its skilled surgeons, comprehensive care and a commitment to your long-term weight loss success.
Book Your VSG Surgery Consultation
Taking the first step towards a healthier you is just a consultation away. Speak with our experienced surgeons to explore if gastric sleeve surgery is the right choice for you.
Frequently Asked Questions About Gastric Sleeve in Cincinnati
Here are answers to some of our most common questions. For additional information, contact our office for assistance.
What is the Recovery Time for Gastric Sleeve Surgery?
Recovery times can vary, but most patients return to normal activities within 2 to 4 weeks post-gastric sleeve surgery and frequently can return to work in a week.
Does Insurance Cover Gastric Sleeve in Ohio?
We are in-network with almost all private insurance companies, including Anthem, Aetna, Blue Cross/Blue Shield, Humana, Cigna, Medical Mutual and others. We also offer financing options to fit all budgets.
How Does VSG Surgery Compare to Other Surgical Weight Loss Options?
Gastric sleeve surgery is known for its lower complication rates and quicker recovery times than other bariatric procedures. The sleeve gastrectomy is also a suitable revision procedure for band patients who have either failed weight loss or had to have their band removed. We have performed this procedure for patients from all over the country and have had excellent results. Discuss with our team to understand the benefits and potential drawbacks concerning your personal health conditions and goals.
Schedule Your VSG Surgery Consultation Today
Ready to take the next step? Contact us to schedule your personalized consultation now. We also offer virtual consultations for VSG surgery with Dr. Curry for out-of-town patients. We’ll help you learn more about how gastric sleeve surgery at JourneyLite can help you achieve your weight loss goals for a happier, healthier you!
Call us toll-free (877) 442-2263.
Request an Appointment