Please review the instructions below before and after your gastric balloon!
Orbera and Spatz Intragastric Balloon
Pre-op and Post-op Instructions
Gastric Balloon Pre-Post Instructions 265.24 KB 2673 downloadsGastric Balloon Pre_Post Instructions-Saline ...
Gastric Balloon Week 1 Diet
Days 1 – clear liquids only
- 100% fruit juice (apple, grape, cranberry)
- Clear broth (chicken, beef, and vegetarian)
- Sugar free popsicles
- Sugar free gelatin
- Water and/or ice chips
- Crystal Light or Sugar Free Kool-Aid
- Decaf Teas and Coffee
- JourneyLite Supplements: fruit drinks, gelatin, protein bouillon, and hot beverages available at LoseWeightCincy.com and all office locations
Avoid the following items day 1
- Carbonated beverages
- Sugary drinks (sweet teas)
- Citrus juices (orange, grapefruit, pineapple) and tomato juices
- Juice drinks (Hawaiian punch)
Days 2-7 – full liquid/puree
- Protein Shakes (Premier shakes, Atkins, Low Carb Slim Fast
- Yogurt (carbmaster, Fit and Lite Greek High Protein)
- Milk (skim, 1%, skim milk, almond milk, soy milk) (all unsweetened)
- V-8 juice, tomato juice
- Scrambled eggs
- Sugar free pudding
- Cream soup (strained): cream of chicken, cream of mushroom, cream of broccoli
- JourneyLite Supplements: protein shakes and pudding, oatmeal, mash potatoes, scrambled eggs, tomato soup
Avoid the following items days 2-7
- Foods with chunks or large pieces
- Sugary desserts (ice cream, regular pudding, cream pies)
- Carbonated beverages
After seven days, you can transition to semi-solid foods. You gradually will transition to solid foods. The length of time for this transition depends on how your body is adjusting to the process. Don’t rush and be sure your body is comfortable before you move into the next phase of eating!
Some Helpful Tips:
- Plan 3 small meals and 2 small snacks every day.
- Watch your posture during meals and while drinking fluids. Sit tall and do not slouch. This will help with your balloon position properly and increase your tolerance for solids.
- Stop eating when you feel full. One additional bite may be too
- Do not drink liquids for 30 minutes before your meal and wait 30 minutes after to drink.
- No solid food starting 3 hours prior to bedtime.
- Use your anti-nausea medications as prescribed by the physician.
Removing Your Intragastric Balloon
IMPORTANT: All Spatz gastric balloons must be removed after 8 months. All Orbera gastric balloons must be removed after 6 months. Please contact our scheduling team immediately if your balloon has been in for 3 months or more and you do not have a removal date scheduled!
For further important instructions on how to prepare for your gastric balloon removal, click here.