Post-op Navigator Progress:
There are certain other medications that need to be held prior to surgery.
Ace Inhibitors/Angiotensin II Receptor Blockers
If you take ACE inhibitors or an angiotensin II receptor blockers for high blood pressure, they should not be taken the day prior, or the day of your procedure. They can be resumed the morning after surgery.
These medications include:
- Lisinopril, benazepril, ramipril, enalapril, losartan, valsartan, candesartan, and irbesartan
- Most medications that end in “pril” or “artan” fall into one of these classes
- Stop the day prior to your procedure and resume the day after
Diuretics (water pills)
- Do not take any diuretics (water pills) the morning of surgery!
- Lasix (furosemide)
- Microzide (hydrochorothiazide)
- Aldactone (spironolactone)
- Any combination medication with these
- Hold water pills for 7 days (unless instructed otherwise) to avoid dehydration