Gastric Sleeve Infobit
Thank you for your interest in the gastric sleeve procedure! The sleeve has become the most commonly-performed weight loss operation, mostly due to the fact that it has the lowest long-term risk. In many cases it can be done on an outpatient basis, with as little as a week or two off work.
There are some advantages and disadvantages to this procedure:
Advantages of the vertical sleeve gastrectomy (VSG):
- Since there is no mechanical device, there are fewer food intolerances with vertical sleeve than with the Lap Band.
- Weight loss is much faster with sleeve than with the Lap Band.
- Removal of the portion of stomach that secretes the hormone ghrelin can result in better hunger control than with the Lap Band.
- There is no implantable device, so things like slips and erosions aren’t a concern down the road with the vertical sleeve gastrectomy.
- The risk is lower than with gastric bypass, yet the weight loss is similar.
- Since there is no device to adjust, the follow-up regimen not as intense as for the Lap Band.
- If weight regain occurs it can easily be converted to bypass or SIPS which will likely lead to additional weight loss.
Disadvantages of the vertical sleeve gastrectomy (VSG):
- Since this is a newer procedure (10+ years) it is less time-tested.
- Unlike the Lap Band, it is non-adjustable.
- Unlike the Lap Band, it is non-reversible.
- The short-term risk is slightly higher than with Lap Band, however the long-term risk is lower as there is no foreign body.
- The surgery usually takes us less than an hour to perform and it is done with five tiny incisions that add up altogether to about 2.5 total inches.
- Many patients are able to go home the day of surgery!
- Diet is advanced slowly, starting with clear liquids and ending at soft solid foods by week four.
- Most patients will lose about 60-70% of their excess body weight in a year.
- We have the most competitive priceing for self pay sleeve patients in the region. Click here for details.
- We have performed more laparoscopic sleeve gastrectomies (over 5000) than any other practice in Cincinnati!
The sleeve gastrectomy is also a good revision procedure for band patients who have had either failed weight loss or had to have their band removed. We have performed this procedure for patients from all over the country and have had excellent results.
Click on “Meet Dr. Curry Online” to learn more about gastric sleeve and other surgical options, or fill our the appointment request form!