Whether you’re at the drive-through window, the office cafeteria or a fine dining restaurant, you can eat the nutrient-rich way. It’s easy to do when you make the following choices.
At the Fast Food Place…
- Entrée salads with grilled chicken and low-calorie dressing.
- Grilled chicken or steak tacos with lots of lettuce and tomato.
- Burger or grilled chicken sandwich with bun removed
In the Office Cafeteria…
- Omelet filled with tomatoes, mushrooms and spinach (or any veggie)
- Lean roast beef, ham or turkey with veggies
- A salad bar creation of dark greens and other colorful veggies, avocado slices, sunflower seeds, and lean protein. Top with low-carb dressing.
When Dining Out…
- Salads made with deep greens such as spinach, arugula and romaine lettuce.
- Lean entrees such as beef sirloin, pork tenderloin, skinless turkey breast, fish or seafood. Ask for sauces on the side.
- Stir fries loaded with broccoli, carrots, cabbage and peppers plus lean beef, lean pork, skinless chicken breast or tofu.
Eating on the Go
It’s easy to eat the nutrient-rich way– even when you’re in a time crunch. Try these ideas the next time hunger strikes when you’re on the go.
Fast Snacks in a Flash
- Low Carb granola mixed into low sugar yogurt.
- Lean roast beef, ham or turkey rolled up in a low carb tortilla plus a handful of cherry tomatoes.
- A scoop of low-fat or fat-free cottage cheese with sliced strawberries or cantaloupe cubes.
Smart Picks from the Vending Machine or Convenience Store
- Protein-packed beef jerky.
- Packages of baby carrots, broccoli florets or celery sticks.
- Mozzarella cheese sticks.
- Low Carb protein bars
Make-it-through-the-Day Desk Drawer Stashes
- Instant protein oatmeal packets.
- Small packs or cans of water-packed tuna and small cans of veggies (don’t forget the can opener).
- Light microwave popcorn. Bonus: Popcorn is a whole-grain food.
- Beef Jerky
- Nuts (almonds, peanuts, walnuts, sunflower seeds, pistachios)