With the exception of sublingual vitamin B12, which starts one week after surgery, your vitamins & minerals will start one month after surgery. Your dietitian will discuss with you which vitamins & minerals you will need to take.
The following are required to be taken after your surgery:
- 1 week post surgery: At 1 week out you will begin taking sublingual B-12 (1,000 mcg) daily until your 1 month visit.
- Dissolve these under your tongue.
- 1 month post surgery: Begin chewable:
- Iron (26mg/d)
- Vitamin D3 (15,000 IU/weekly)
- Calcium Citrate (1000 mg/d, ONLY take 500 mg at one time to increase absorption)
- Decrease sublingual B12 to 1,000 mcg/week.
JourneyLite Physicians highly recommends Bariatric Advantage vitamins. They are high-quality, pharmaceutical-grade products that are designed specifically for surgical weight loss patients!
Vitamins are often not tolerated on an empty stomach. Always take your vitamins later in the day, the best time being after lunch or dinner.